NAMI joins worldwide effort in food security sustainability
The North American Meat Institute is joining a worldwide initiative committing to sustainable ag production and climate solutions.
The Coalition of Action on Sustainable Productivity Growth for Food Security and Resource Conservation was launched at the United Nations Food Systems Summit and is a US-led effort.
The Meat Institute also announced it submitted its Protein PACT (People, Animals, and Climate of Tomorrow) that increases transparency in environmental impacts, diets and care of animals.
The framework will be announced in November will verify progress on 100 metrics aimed to:
- Optimize contributions to healthy land, air, and water
- Be the leading source of high-quality protein in balanced diets
- Provide the most humane care and raise healthy animals
- Produce safe products without exception
- Support a diverse workforce and ensure safe workplaces
CEO Julie Anna Potts says the group is proud to join the effort as the first initiative of its kind to unite farmers and processors in transparency to ensure sustainability in the meat supply.