Two people and their dog escaped injury in an early-morning fire on Fairhaven Street, the Muscatine Fire Department reports.
The call went out about 4:12 a.m. Thursday for a roof on fire at 2914 Fairhaven St., discovered by some people driving by. Their efforts to alert the occupants of the home were unsuccessful, the fire department said in a news release.
Police on scene were able to force the door and were met by the occupants. Dispatchers had called the residents and alerted them at the same time of the police arrival. Fire crews were on scene soon after, as several units were returning from a medical call. Both occupants and their dog were able to escape without injury.
Upon arrival flames were found on the roof near the chimney. Fire attack was initiated and the main body of fire was extinguished within about 10 minutes. However, due to the scorching of blown in insulation in the attic areas crews remained on scene for several hours after to ensure the fire was completely out. The attic and roof will likely need to be replaced, so the initial damage is estimated at $30,000.
There were no injuries to any occupants or responders. An estimated 18 fire fighters – including off duty staff – responded. This also includes an automatic mutual aid assistance from the Fruitland Fire Department. The Muscatine Police Department provided support with initial response and traffic control. The Red Cross was called to the scene to provide assistance to the fire victims.