Join us for United Way’s Tax Night

United Way’s Tax Night 

Musser Public Library
402 E. 2nd St., Room 104

Tuesday, February 4, 2-4 pm
Thursday, February 6, 3-5pm
Wednesday, February 12, 3-5 pm
Tuesday, February 18, 2-4 pm
Thursday, February 20, 3-5 pm
Wednesday, February 26, 3-5 pm

Learn how you can use to complete your taxes

Sessions are open to the public and reservations are not needed.

Please have all your tax information
with you for the session you plan to
attend. Pre-assignments listed on the
back of this flyer.

Don’t pay to file your taxes.

Households earning up to
$66,000 can file their federal
and state tax returns for free.

For questions call United Way of Muscatine
at 563-263-5963.

Getting Ready to Do Your Taxes with

Step 1: Gather your Documents

  • W-2s for each job held in 2019 for each person in the household, this form reports your name,
    wages, and other tax information to the IRS.
  • 1099s showing other income (unemployment, social security, school loans, health care
    reimbursement, state tax refund, gambling winnings, contract work) that is reported to the IRS.
  • 1098s showing payments you’ve made (school loans, property tax).
  • 1095-A if you received credit from the marketplace.
  • Income/interest statements received for any savings account/investments.
  • Bank account numbers: a voided check or your bank or credit union’s routing number and savings or
    checking account number for your refund to be deposited automatically into your account through
    direct deposit.
  • Last year’s tax return (if you have it).


Step 2: Collect information from everyone in your household

  • Name and taxpayer number as they appear on the Social Security Card (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer
    Identification Number letter (ITIN) for you and all dependents (including children and elderly relatives
    for whom you provide care).
  • Date of birth and relationship (son, daughter, mother, etc.).
  • Current address (it may be different from the address on your employment records).


Step 3: Gather additional items to get a large refund 

  • Childcare expenses: name, address, Tax ID or Social Security Number of the child care provider.
  • Business expenses and assets: if you’re self-employed or have a small business
  • College: loans and/or scholarships received, and bills for technical/community college or university
    (Forms 1098-T/1098-E).
  • Educator expenses for teaching grades K-12 (school supplies and materials used in the classroom).
  • Charitable donations: list of contributions and amounts, receipts for contributions over $250.
  • Vehicles: vehicle sales tax, personal property tax statement for each car you own, total miles driven
    for the year and/or total miles driven for business.
  • Renters: amount of rent paid (in some states).
  • Homeowners: mortgage interest statement (Form 1098), real estate taxes paid, Statement of
    Property Tax Payable in 2019.
  • Retirement/IRA: amount contributed to an IRA and total value as of December 2019.
  • ITIN: if you need to apply for an ITIN for yourself or a family member, find out what other documents
    you need to take with you when you get help filing your taxes for free.

70% of U.S. tax filers qualify to file state and federal for free with MyFreeTaxes. The service is
brought to you by United Way, and powered by H&R Block.

For your protection, keep any forms used to prepare your taxes and a copy of your return for seven
years. This information will make it easier to file your taxes next year.