The second round of leaf collection efforts by Muscatine Department of Public Works crews is into the second round this month with a third round in December dependent on the weather.
The two crews using vacuum trucks completed the first pass through the eight city zones on Oct. 23 and are currently working in Zone 3. Crews will work through to Zone 7 and complete the second round by Dec. 6, weather permitting. Work in Zone 4 will begin Nov. 13, Zone 5 on Nov. 18, Zone 6 on Nov. 25, and Zone 7 on Dec. 2.
A third round will be scheduled if needed and dependent on the weather.
A few program guidelines:
- Avoid parking on the street on your scheduled leaf collection day.
- Leaf piles blocked by cars will not be collected until cars are moved.
- Do not mix trash, branches, or other yard waste with your leaf piles.
- Snow and ice control will take priority and leaf collection operations may be postponed.
- Please have your leaves out next to the curb by 7 a.m. on day of leaf pickup.
- Leaf trucks may be working in zones prior to pick up day but will return on (or after) scheduled date.
Please contact the Department of Public Works (563-263-8933) if you have questions, believed you were missed, or are in need of a special collection.
City of Muscatine and City of Fruitland can transport leaves to the Muscatine Compost Facility for free. A small fee is charged to non-residents and commercial users. The Compost Facility is open 12-6 p.m. Sunday through Friday and from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturdays.
The Compost Facility also accepts brush and branches along with larger trees and logs (no tree stumps or roots, however).
City of Muscatine staff will also pick up yard waste placed in City of Muscatine yard waste bags near the residents refuse collection bin on the day of the refuse collection.
Call the Muscatine Transfer Station (563-263-9689) with questions regarding the Compost Facility or visit the Compost Facility page on the City of Muscatine web site.