Muscatine school officials are hosting a parent night on school safety Wednesday, Oct. 9 following an attack on a special needs student in a hallway at Muscatine High School and a “hoax” threat of a shooting at the school.
Following both incidents, Muscatine High School administrators sent a note to parents saying the students involved received the following consequences: out of school suspensions, criminal charges and all are no longer attending day school.
In the school shooting threat, officials on Sept. 18 received word of an anonymous text warning of a potential shooting and immediately notified police.
“In working with the Muscatine Police Department, two students admitted that their social media post was a hoax,” the school said in a statement.
That incident followed the beating of a special needs student in a hallway as he walked to class. The attack was caught on video and posted to Snapchat.
“After the events of last week, we want the student body to know that we will always protect your safety and security,” Muscatine High School said in a statement. “Students that create or promote an atmosphere of risk and threat are dealt with assertively. Muscatine High School will remain a safe place to teach and learn.”
Administrators urged parents to talk to their children about the seriousness of threats and the importance of reporting suspicious activities, threats, or disturbing information to a trusted adult.
“Students also need to be aware that law enforcement agencies are taking these threats very seriously and are pursuing prosecution even when such incidents are intended as pranks,” the statement said.
The parent information meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Central Middle School Auditorium on Wednesday, Oct. 9. The Muscatine School District and police department will discuss protocols when a threat is received and how parents and the community can help.