NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Muscatine Municipal Housing Agency (MMHA) of the City of Muscatine, Iowa, will open its Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program (Section 8) waiting list Tuesday, November 1, 2016. Applicants will be placed on the wait list based on qualified preference and the date and time of application. The HCV Program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to provide rental assistance to qualified households. The Program primarily serves working families earning a modest wage and elderly and disabled families living on a fixed income. However the wait list will be open to all applicants.
To be eligible for assistance applicants must have very low incomes (VLI), meaning they earn no more than 50% of the area median income (AMI) for their family size. At least 75% of the families admitted to the HCV program must be extremely low income (ELI) as defined by HUD. Current income limits by household size are:
|People in Household||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
|Extremely Low Income||$13,300||$16,020||$20,160||$24,300||$28,440||$32,580||$36,730||$40.890|
Applicants will be prioritized by the following preferences:
- Income-qualified families that have been terminated from the HCV program due to insufficient program funding.
- Income-qualified families being displaced because of a property deemed uninhabitable not as a result of actions or inactions by the present occupants of the property; income-qualified families displaced by government action or whose dwelling has been extensively damaged or destroyed as a result of a disaster declared or otherwise formally recognized pursuant to federal disaster relief laws.
- Income-qualified families meeting the following definitions:
- Elderly: the head of household, spouse, or co-head is 62 years old or older; or
- Disabled: the head of household, spouse, or co-head is considered disabled; or
- Families with children under the age of 18 who have a legal domicile in Muscatine County, or who are working or have been notified that they are hired to work in Muscatine County.
- Income-qualified families with children under the age of 18 who are not residents in Muscatine County at the time of their application.
- Income-qualified families with no children under the age of 18 who have legal domiciles in Muscatine County at the time of their application.
- Income-qualified families with no children under the age of 18 who are not residents in Muscatine County at the time of their application.
Preliminary application packets will be available at the Housing Department in Muscatine City Hall or online at www.muscatineiowa.gov/voucherprogram beginning Tuesday, November 1 at 8:00 a.m. The Housing Department is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 to noon and 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Complete application packets may be dropped off at the MMHA during the business hours listed above or by mail. Complete application packets include signatures of all adult household members and birth certificates and social security cards for all family members. DO NOT MAIL original birth certificates or social security cards; copies of these documents will be made for applications turned in at the MMHA office. Incomplete application packets (including those missing signatures or required documents) will be returned without being placed on the wait list.
Mailed applications will be placed on the wait list according to the date and time of receipt by MMHA. Applications cannot be faxed or e-mailed.
MMHA does not discriminate. If you or a member of your family is a person with disabilities and you require a specific accommodation to fully utilize MMHA programs or services, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting MMHA at 215 Sycamore St, Muscatine, Iowa 52761 or by phone at (563)264-1554 or the TDD at 563-264-1550.
For additional information regarding the HCV Program or how to apply please call (563)264-1554 or e-mail [email protected].