In light of recent events, the Muscatine Community School District would like to educate and caregivers on how to talk with their children and students in difficult or trying times.
We encourage you as parents and caregivers to read over the following list of ways you can help your student deal with these events, and use them as you feel appropriate.
What Can You Do as a Parent?
- Be available and willing to discuss the events and honestly share your feelings about them.
2. Allow your student to express fears and feelings. Let him/her question things without being judgmental.
3. Maintain your daily routines as it offers students a sense of security.
4. Be present and watchful of your student in the days and weeks ahead. Watch for any changes in behavior. If you do notice changes, talk them over with a school counselor.
5. Give assurances of love, support, and safety.
6. Be patient. Students may express a variety of emotions within a short period of time.
The school counselors will be available as needed. Please let us know how we can be of assistance to you and your family.